From our office in Orillia we serve Simcoe County, Muskoka, Parry Sound, Haliburton and our corporate clients throughout Ontario.
Our work force consists of four professionals with support staff.
They were preserved by the water and layers of protective silt.
The weirs were built as fences using local wood species, including eastern white cedar, sugar maple, and white birch for the stakes.
Samuel de Champlain recorded their existence on September 1, 1615, when he passed the weirs with the Huron en route to the battle with the Iroquois on the south east side of Lake Ontario.
The Mnjikaning Fish Weirs was officially recognized as a National Historic Site of Canada on 12 June 1982.
The weirs were used to trap the various fish species swimming through them.
The early fishermen wove brush and vegetation among the weirs to make net-like fencing where the fish were guided to be speared, netted or kept for later use, particularly for consumption during the winter.
The Engineering Division of Dearden and Stanton Limited has been in professional practice since the firm’s inception in 1964 and has completed hundreds of projects, both large and small, in the Central Ontario region.
Engineering services provided include all facets of Municipal design, storm water management, construction layout and supervision, service testing and performance certification.
Associated services include preparation of tender documents and full-term project management.
The company’s Surveying Department has been active since 1964 and maintains records of various cadastral surveyors dating back to 1877.
Long before, deep on the floor of The Narrows between Lake Simcoe and Couchiching, natives constructed their fish weirs, now an archaeological treasure older than the Egyptian pyramids.