It was he who, in the sixties, cleverly identified a gap in the market for a LOUD drum set at a time when drummers were seldom miked-up outside of the studio.
The original plan was to affix metal liners inside the shells of rather ordinary beech Carlton drums and, indeed, some of these were actually made. Originally the drums were named George Hayman after one of the guys ` in Dallas-Arbiter's Shoeburyness factory (whose surname, to confuse things further, was actually Haymon) and, possibly, George Way who made the legendary Camcos.
A lightweight kit for easy transport, and hence the 'club' rather than 'student' moniker.
Since the shells were essentially the same as on the top-range kits, the drums often sounded just as good - if not better because of the decreased hardware.
The centre-mounted double-ended lugs required less metalwork and less factory time, so allowing the drums to be built more quickly and cheaply.
Now today's players, who are more hip to shell configurations, are developing a taste for these slimmed-down kits, and there is a move back to reclaiming and reassessing them.
Unlike today, big companies back then tended to make an all-bells-and-whistles professional set and a slightly less hardware-burdened gigging set.
The latter was aimed at local drummers (this being in the USA which is after all pretty massive) and weekend warriors with regular dance and bar gigs.The use of tube lugs would remain unchanged until 1935-1936, when Ludwig (now owned by G. Conn) introduced their new Imperial or Streamline snare drum lug casing.Considered by many to be the most elegant lug ever designed, the Imperial tension casing incorporated a beautiful and majestic art deco design.Hayman drums were introduced in the late 1960s, being made by an English manufacturer.The idea was to come up with a drum series to compete with the success of the large American companies of the time.Hayman made the drum kits in 3 brushed metallic finishes; gold, silver and midnight blue.